Maritime education history

MSU Development Stages

  • 2001 – Russian Federation Ministry of Transport order # 148 on October, 2 “About renaming FESMA named after adm. G.I. Nevelskoi in the Admiral Nevelskoi Maritime State University ”.

  • 1991 – April, 26 FEHEMC was renamed in the Far Eastern State Maritime Academy ( FESMA ).

  • 1989 – from December,26 FEHEMC ( Far Eastern High Engineering Maritime College ) has been publishing it’s own students’ newspaper Meridian which is the 5 th students’newspaper in Vladivostok.

  • 1970 – April, 18 FEHEMC History Museum was opened on the base of War and Labour Glory Museum of this College.

  • 1965 – VHEMC was renamed in the Far Eastern High Engineering Maritime College named after adm. G.I.Nevelskoi ( FEHEMC ).

  • 1958 – May,29 Vladivostok High Maritime College was given a name Engineering (Vladivostok High Engineering Maritime College ).

  • 1953 – due to decree of Minister’s Council of the USSR # 13961 on October, 21, Sea and River Fleet Ministry order # 551 on October,30 VHMC ( Vladivostok High Maritime College ) was referred to academic institutions of the second category.

  • 1944 – due to the order of People’s Committee of Sea Fleet #229 on June, 7 "About reorganization of sea schools into high maritime and secondary maritime schools" Vladivostok Maritime School was reorganized into Vladovostok High Maritime School (VHMS) with the status of specialized technical institute.

  • 1931 – People’s Committee of Water Transport made a decision to organize Academic Institution on the ground of Vladivostok Maritime School. Academic Institution consisted of the Institute of Water Transport Engineers and Maritime school ( academic year began in 1932 and finished in 1933 ).

  • 1929 – United Water Transport School was renamed into Vladivostok Maritime School of Sea Fleet People’s Committee of the USSR.

  • 1923 – School of Far Navigation was reorganized into Water Transport School.

  • 1902 – November, 7 Vladivostok Sea School of Far Navigation named after Alexander was found on the base of sea classes.

  • 1890 – November, 14 sea classes named after Alexander were opened in Vladivostok. Studies began in September,16.

  • 1876 – War governor of Primorskyi Region and Vladivostok contr-admiral G.Ph. Erdman interceded for sea classes organization in Vladivostok.

Maritime Education on Russian Far East

XVIII century:

  • 1728 – Captain V.Bering began to write a memory notice "About Training in Okhotsk and Kamchatka of Cossacks kids for sea routes".

  • 1730 – Captain-commodore V.Bering applied his memory notice for Alexander the Emperor.

  • 1731 – The Highest Order of Anna the Empress on May,10 "To Train young Cossack kids to Maritime Business in Okhotsk". Special order and instruction on July,22 to the Commander of Okhotsk port "to organize school for navigation".

  • 1736 – Navigation School was founded in Yakutsk.

  • 1739 – Navigation School in Yakutsk began it’s working.

  • 1740 – A.M. Devier opened his school in Okhotsk.

  • 1746 – School in Yakutsk was closed because of money absence.

  • 1754 – Navigation schools in Okhotsk and Nerchinsk were opened.

  • 1756 – People’s school in Okhotsk was reorganized into navigation school.

  • 1758 – First graduates of Irkutsk school were delivered to Okhotsk for practical training of navigation.

  • 1975 – School in Nerchinsk was closed in August ( it was included into the structure of Irkutsk school ). All navigation schools in Siberia were given to the governor ’s authority.

  • 1766 – School in Yakutsk was opened again.

  • 1783 – Due to the decree on September, 27 Commission of People’s School must organize Maritime School.

  • 1792 – School in Yakutsk had been finally closed.

  • 1795 – Navigation School in Irkutsk had been closed ( it was included in the structure of the Main People’s School in the city ).

  • 1796 – Navigation School in Okhotsk had been closed.

  • 1799 – School in Okhotsk had been restored ( it began it’s working as the fourth company of navigation conductors).

XIX century:

  • 1847 – School in Okhotsk had been renamed into the Navigation School.

  • 1850 – Navigation school in Okhotsk was transferred in Petropavlovsk - on - Kamchatka.

  • 1855 – Navigation school in Petropavlovsk - on - Kamchatka was transferred in Nikolaevsk - on - Amur.

  • 1867 – June,27 Decree of Navigation Classes, Rules of Navigators and Skippers Recognition, Rules for Navigators and Skippers Testing were confirmed.

  • 1869 – Navigation classes started to be opened.

  • 1875 – Navigation school in Nikolaevsk - on - Amur was reorganized in boys’gymnasia.

  • 1876 – War governor of Primosrkyi Region and Vladivostok contr-admiral G.Ph.Erdman interceded for sea classes organization in Vladivostok.

  • 1878 – Staff school based on port repairing shops had been in Vladivostok.

  • 1879 – Boys’gymnasia in Nikolaevsk was transferred in Vladivostok. Noverber,29 Department of Emperor Society assisting Russian Trade Fleet in Peterburg addressed to Vladivostok governor in order to organize navigation classes with skippers and shipbuilding department in Vladivostok.

  • 1880 – February,2 Vladivostok Duma elected three members to elaborate the problem of navigation class. February, 26 it was decided to name Vladivostok sea classes in honour of Alexander II the Emperor.

  • 1881 – April 17, all sea navigation classes are in the authority of People Education Ministry. In September General - Governor D. Anuchin applied to the governors of Eastern Siberia to invite city communities to sacrifice money for Vladivostok sea navigation classes.

  • 1882 – In February Municipal Duma prepared the finally elaborated project "Status of sea navigation classes named after Alexander II Emperor. December 8, General - Governor of Eastern Siberia D. Anuchin had sent Duma’s project for confirmation of Finance Minister and Sea Ministry Manager.

  • 1883 – February 19, General - Aide - de - Camp Shestakov assured General- Governor "that he didn’t support the idea of organizing such classes, but if Ministry of Finance considered it possible to realize this project in Vladivostok, there wouldn’t be any obstacles to use ships of Siberian Fleet for practical teaching needs. New sea navigation class had been opened in Tobolsk.

  • 1884 – February 1, Emperor Society for assisting Russian Trade Fleet asked Minister of Education and PriAmur General - Governor" to open sea navigation class in Vladivostok".

  • 1888 – February1, Staff school of Port Repair shop in Vladivostok was renamed into the Port school of Sea Department.

  • 1889 – Sea navigation class in Tobolsk was terminated . Emperor Society for assisting Russian trade Fleet again asked Minister of Education and PriAmur General - Governor to open sea navigation class in Vladivostok as soon as possible.

  • 1889 – June 13, it is confirmed to open sea navigation classes in Vladivostok from January, 1890 and to give the name Alexander classes.

  • 1890 – April 7, "Decree about Alexander sea navigation classes in Vladivostok" was confirmed. First Museum of Russian Far East was opened by the Society of Amurskyi Region exploring. The special committee for opening sea navigation classes in Vladivostok was formed by Municipal Duma in September. Sea navigation classes were planned to open in October 15. November 14, Alexander sea navigation classes were opened. In November 16 studies began in this classes.

  • 1891 – Law about Russian Casting was accepted. There were special 6-weeks training sailing courses for those who finished skippers and navigation classes and recruited for army service. April 13, the first academic year finished and the first tests were gone.

  • 1896 – Ministry of Finance discussed the question about transmitting sea navigation classes in its authority.

  • 1897 – In November all sea navigation classes were transmitted to the Ministry of Finance.

  • 1899 – Sea school in Blagoveshensk was opened in December.

XX century:

  • 1901 – within Blagoveshensk sea school "class to prepare sea engineer and their assistants" was opened.

  • 1902 – May 6, "Law of changing rules of sea navigators on sea boats of Trade Fleet", "Decree about status of sea institutes of Finance Ministry" were accepted. November 7, Vladivostok Alexander sea school of far navigation was opened on the base of sea classes. December 3, Trusteeship Council was elected.

  • 1903 – June 10, "Decree about engineers on sea boats of Trade Fleet" was announced.

  • 1905 – June 13, "Decree about academic institutes for training sea engineers of Trade Fleet and Teaching staff preparing for sea navigation schools" were published. October 27, all sea navigation schools were given to the authority of Ministry of Trade and Industry.

  • 1906 – Regulations of Alexander sea school of far navigation were developed.

  • 1907 – Post graduates studies for engineers were organized on the base of sea navigation school.

  • 1908 – The first wooden building for sea navigation school was built on Svetlanskaya Street 75, Vladivostok. The Department for boat engineers was opened.

  • 1909 – New rules about engineers on sea boats of trade fleet and rules for navigators on sea boats of trade fleet were confirmed.

  • 1911 – Special law "About measures to facilitate navigation development on Russia Far East ( this law was working till December 31, 1913).

  • 1913 – Trusteeship committee of sea navigation school interceded for Ministry of Trade and Industry about special fish processing class opening.

  • 1914 – November 6, it was permitted to open courses for training navigators of casting fleet small boats on the base of Vladivostok Maritime Society.

  • 1916 – June 23, Trusteeship committee of sea navigation school prepared the project of Decree and Program of wireless telegraphy courses to be confirmed by the department of Trade navigation which belonged to Ministry of Trade and Industry.

  • 1918 – In November Sea school ( naval cadet classes ) was organized by the order of the Highest Siberian Governor A. Kolchak in Vladivostok. December 16, the order of Siberian Fleet Head about announcing his first headquarter was announced.

  • 1920 – January 31, by the order of Commander - in - Chief of the War Fleet Contr-Admiral M. Berence Sea Navigation school with sea training team were evacuated from Vladivostok. April 11, the first students of Far Eastern Sea Naval Cadets graduated from the school in Singapore.

  • 1921 – In June on the base of Siberian Fleet a new naval cadet class was organized ( March 27, 1923 seven students were promoted to the naval cadets on the Philippines ).

  • 1923 – Sea school of Far Navigation was reorganized into Sea technical secondary school of Transport Means.

  • 1926 – On the base of Soviet Trade Fleet 2- years School of Sea Training ( SST ) was found.

  • 1927 – January 11, SST began it’s work; In March the Far Eastern Regional Professional Education developed 5 -years development plan of professional technical education and it’s reorganization. December 11, Far Eastern Fish Processing technical school with 4 -years academic course was opened.

  • 1929 – United Sea technical school was renamed into Vladivostok Sea technical school of People Committee of sea fleet of the USSR.

  • 1930 – On the base of Sea technical school 3- years evening technical school for working people and school of sea training were organized. October 1, Far Eastern Institute of Fish Processing was organized in Vladivostok. December 1, Exploitation Department was opened in Sea technical school.

  • 1931 – March, the Second Congress of Sea Transport workers planned some activities; The first specialists of Far Eastern Fish Processing technical school graduated from the school. Hydrometeorology technical school ( for hydrologist, meteorologist and oceanologist training ) was organized in Vladivostok. Hydrotechnical Department and courses of secondary officers.

  • 1932 – March, Short term radio technical courses were opened in Vladivostok by Sea Transport Management. In May 15, studies in groups of the University of Sea Transport engineers began. Since 25th of May according to the order # 164 from May 14 School of Sea Studies was extracted from the Academic Department of Sea Transport in the Pacific Ocean area. June 14, studies in evening groups of the University of Sea Transport engineers began. Special courses of sea specialists preparing were organized on the base of FESCO ( studies that prepared navigators of small vessels and not far navigation, mechanics of the 3d class). Later these courses were organized in Nikolaevsk-on-Amur, Petropavlovsk-on-Kamchatka, in Magadan, on Sakhalin.

  • 1933 – February 15, according to the order #59 from 14th February Academic Department of Sea Transport was terminated. On the base of Main War Port in Vladivostok a school of factories studies of Pacific Ocean Fleet rear was opened. Far Eastern Fish Processing School was renamed into Far Eastern Special School of Fish Industry. October 25, Postal Department of Sea Special School was organized. December 1, according to the Decree #157 of People’s Committee of Supply and Council of People’s Commissars from 3d of October Far Eastern State Institute of Fish Industry was terminated. Politics department were found in December on sea transport and maritime academic institutes.

  • 1935 – Industrial special school was reorganized into Vladivostok Shipbuilding special school.

  • 1936 – The Museum of Fish Industry was opened in Vladivostok.

  • 1937 – The 3d war-maritime special school was organized in Vladivostok; special academic department to prepare fishing staff was opened in Primorye; radio technical department was opened and evening special school for workers was closed at Maritime special school; some special secondary schools with 4years academic term were organized on a base of Vladivostok Industrial Economic special school.

  • 1938 – The 3d war-maritime special school began studies in February; courses of sea specialists preparation began academic training of far navigation navigators, radio operators and 2nd class mechanics.

  • 1939 – The 3d war-maritime special school was renamed into Pacific Ocean War Maritime School (POFEWMS); Far Eastern Fish Processing School was renamed into Far Eastern Maritime School of Fish Industry.

  • 1940 – POFEWMS was reorganized into High Institute (POFEHWMS) in May; the 4th Special War Maritime secondary school was opened. It prepared pupils to enter POFEWMS.

  • 1942 – First students graduated from POFEWMS in June 24; industrial school # 10 was opened in Vladivostok (now it is special maritime school #7).

  • 1942 – According to the Order of People’s Committee of Sea Transport from July 15 studies began on ships; Fish processing school was opened in Petropavlovsk-on-Kamchatka.

  • 1943 – Industrial school #2 was opened in Vladivostok in May; a school of postal education #7 was renamed into industrial school #4 to prepare staff for ship repairing plant #2; a school of navigation education #5 was opened in Nakhodka; academic department of Far Eastern Shipping Company was opened to prepare high rank staff; Maritime school was organized in Nikolaevsk-on-Amur; industrial school #15 for sea fleet was opened in Sovgavang.

  • 1944 – School of navigation education #7 was opened in Vladivostok by the order of Regional Personnel Staff Administration in February 18. March 5, according to the Decree #5311 of State Committee of Defense it was decided to open 11 navigation schools including three Higher schools in Leningrad, Odessa and Vladivostok; April, politics departments on sea and rail transport were terminated; June 7, according to the order #229 "About sea school reorganization into high sea navigation schools and sea navigation schools" Vladovostok Sea school had to be reorganized into High Sea Navigation School with the status of specialized technical institute, sea school in Nikolaevsk had to be reorganized into sea navigation school; Academic department was opened on the base of Far Eastern Fishing special school; October 1, studies began in Vladivostok High Sea School (VHSS), postal department was transferred into Far Eastern Shipping Company.

  • 1945 – Sea War Historical Museum was opened in Vladivostok.

  • 1946 – Ship repairing Faculty of VHSS and academic consulting center of postal department of Odessa Sea Fleet Engineers Institute were opened.

  • 1947 – Radio technical faculty of VHSS was given to Leningrad High sea navigation school; Fishing school was opened on Sakhalin.

  • 1949 – July 17, Sea navigation school in Nikolaevsk was transferred in Kholmsk and renamed into Sakhalin sea navigation special school; Sea navigation school #7 was given to FESCO and renamed into Vladivostok Navigation School.

  • 1950 – Sea War Historical Museum was opened in May 9; The first graduate of engineer-navigators and engineer-ship mechanics of VHSS; According to the order #51 from January 11, 1946, Far Eastern Technical Institute of Fish Industry was opened again.

  • 1951 – Korssakov School of high rank staff and specialists of fishing industry was organized.

  • 1952 – Navigation special school in Petropavlovsk-on-Kamchatka was found on the base of fish processing school.

  • 1953 – Far Eastern Technical Institute of Fish Industry was reorganized into Far Eastern navigation school; September 1, industrial school #2 was given to the Pacific Ocean Fleet rear; Cadet net of Far Eastern shipping company was renamed into the School of high rank staff improving; According to the order #551 on October 30th Vladivostok Higher Maritime College was referred to the educational institutions of the second degree.

  • 1954 – Trade school #4 to prepare staff for ship repair plant #2 was transmitted to Nakhodka; Trade school #3 was reorganized into technical college #1; Pacific Ocean Higher Military Maritime College was given a name of the adm. S.O. Makarov; Sakhalin Fish Processing College was renamed into the Sakhalin Navigation College of Fish Industry (Sakhalin Maritime College in Nevelsk now).

  • 1956 – Far Eastern Maritime college was transmitted to Nakhodka; Ship navigation and ship repairing faculties were united within the structure of Vladivostok Higher Maritime College.

  • 1957 – Academic consulting center of Vladivostok Higher Maritime College was reorganized into postal department; Nevelskaya, Aleksandrovskaya and Pravdinskaya schools were added to Korsakovskaya School of high rank staff and specialists of fishing industry improving.

  • 1958 – Vladivostok Higher Maritime College was given a name "Engineer" (VHEMC) in May 29th.

  • 1960 – Far Eastern Institute of Fishing Industry was given the second category; Vladivostok navigation school organized the Pioneer Flotilla for pupils of the 6-8th forms.

  • 1961 – School of high rank staff improving was terminated; Evening department and Electro mechanic Department were found.

  • 1962 – The Museum of Sea Fleet was opened in Vladivostok; Vladivostok navigation college was opened in the structure of VHEMC; Far Eastern Institute of Fishing Industry was reorganized.

  • 1963 – A postal department of VHEMC became a postal faculty.

  • 1964 – Ship building school was opened in Bolshoi Kamen’, Primorskyi region.

  • 1965 – VHEMC was renamed into Far Eastern Higher Engineer Maritime College named after G.I.Nevelskoi (FEHEMC); The Military History Museum was renamed into the Museum of Pacific Ocean Fleet Command.

  • 1967 – Students of evening department graduated from FEHEMC.

  • 1968 – Post graduate department and a faculty of high rank staff improving were opened in the structure of FEHEMC.

  • 1969 – Evening department of FEHEMC was terminated and one-year course of first captain assistants training for overseas navigation was opened; Vladovostok Navigation school was extracted from the structure of FEHEMC and became the real training institution.

  • 1970 – The Museum of FEHEMC was opened in April 18th; 8 months preparing department began it’s work.

  • 1972 – Professional school for crew training #34 was opened in Nakhodka.

  • 1974 – Navigation school to prepare staff for fishing industry was opened in Vladivostok.

  • 1980 – The History Museum of Far Eastern Institute of Fishing Industry was organized.

  • 1981 – People Museum of professional history was opened in Vladivostok.

  • 1983 – Club (later school ) "Makarovets" was organized on the base of POHMMC to prepare pupils for entering.

  • 1991 – FEHEMC was reorganized into Far Eastern State Maritime Academy (FESMA).

  • 1992 – Vladivostok navigation school was reorganized into Vladivostok Maritime College of FESMA.

  • 1994 – Training department of FESCO was reorganized, it was given to the charge of Vladivostok navigation school.

  • 1995 – Vladivostok Maritime College was opened as a non-state educational institution; Far Eastern Institute of Fishing Industry got the title of a technical university; A coastal faculty was organized in the structure of POHMMC.

  • 1997 – Far Eastern navigation school in Nakhodka was transmitted to the structure of Far Eastern Institute of Fishing Industry.

  • 1998 – POHMMC was reorganized into Pacific Ocean Military Maritime Institute (POMMI).

  • 1999 – The branch of Vladivostok Maritime College was registered in Uzhno-Sakhalinsk.

  • 2000 – Maritime education in Primorye was 110 years in November 26th.

XX century:

  • 2001 – Maritime education in Russia was 300 years and 270 years of maritime education on Russian Far East in May 21st.

  • 2001 – October 2nd, FESMA was renamed into Admiral Nevelskoi Maritime State University.